Trigger Warning: Mention of suicide
Learn about serotonin and natural happiness from Founder of Serotonin Eatery, Exercise and Education Emily Hazell. In this uplifting episode, Meg and Emily discuss what serotonin is and how it differs from happiness and share practical steps you can take to help you feel good.
So what’s this episode really about?
- A sneak peek into the 12 steps to natural happiness, including getting enough sleep, raising your heart rate and stopping the stimulant cycle that keeps you feeling wired and tired.
- The realities of running and owning a business.
- Key takeaways and practical tips to experiencing more energy in your life.
Why you should listen
Feeling sad is a part of life, but so is happiness! From this episode, you’ll learn about the steps you can take to experience more natural joy in your life. If you’re feeling flat and unmotivated, you’re not alone. Through this enlightening conversation with Emily and Meg, you’ll feel more deeply connected and confident in who you are and how important taking care of yourself really is.
- The first step to natural happiness is getting enough sleep for your body’s needs. Pay close attention to your sleep hygiene, including stopping the use of devices two hours before bedtime and removing tech distractions from the bedroom.
- To ground yourself, try the legs-up-the-wall (yoga) pose. Lay on your back with hips against a wall. Extend your legs up, so the backs of your legs gently press into the wall. Close your eyes and stay for 20 minutes.
- To relax, do the 4-7-8 Breathing Technique. Breathe in through your nose for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, then breathe out your mouth breath for eight seconds. Repeat four times. This quick and easy technique will drop you back into your parasympathetic nervous system so you can rest and digest.
You can quote us on that…
“People don’t know how good their body is designed to feel.”Emily Hazell
“Happiness is about knowing that even in the dark moments there is light ahead.”Emily Hazell
“Whatever brings you joy isn’t wasting time.”Emily Hazell
Serotonin Formula Poster – click here
Want to learn more?
The learning doesn’t have to stop here. Get your free dose of wellbeing education in your inbox with Meg’s Thought Of The Week. Click here to subscribe.
Loved this episode?
The best way you can support The School of Wellbeing podcast is by sharing this episode with your family, friends and other big-hearted humans in your life! Click here to subscribe and share.
Like what you hear?
Please leave me a review – I love a gold star as much as the next teacher! Click here to review The School of Wellbeing Podcast.
Hi, I'm Meg!
B.Phys Ed, M. Ed (Student Wellbeing), CIPP
I’m a teacher with experience working in primary and secondary schools across Australia, and a specialist in the field of wellbeing education and coaching. I founded Open Mind Education in 2013 with a vision of sharing practical, enriching wellbeing education with staff, parents, and broader school communities.
Join me on Social Media
is just five steps away.
Download my 5-step guide to more energy
for the ultimate wellbeing action plan.