Happiness. It’s what we all want! Whether you’re a parent, student or teacher, being happy is something humans naturally strive to be. In this compelling episode, Meg converses with Tal Ben-Shahar, a renowned Positive Psychology lecturer and best-selling author, about happiness and the permission to be human. Listen in now to discover the science of happiness and how you can apply it to your life starting today.
So what’s this episode really about?
- The biggest mistakes humans make when pursuing happiness and the simple techniques you can use in your everyday life to remedy these behaviours quickly
- How you can utilise the SPIRE model of wellbeing to experience more happiness in your life
- The concept of ‘giving ourselves permission’ to be human, and setting better examples for the people closest to us.
Why you should listen
Tal taught two of the largest classes in Harvard University’s history, and now he is sharing his expertise right here on The School of Wellbeing podcast for you. You may think Positive Psychology is all about rainbows and unicorns, but it’s about so much more than that. It’s about accepting all of the emotions that come into our lives so that we can live a more fulfilled and happy life. Meg and Tal talk about actionable tools you can walk away with today so that you show up as a positive leader in your community.
Links from this episode
- The foundation of happiness is allowing space for unhappiness. Sad emotions are part of the human experience. Try not to suppress difficult emotions, as this will only intensify them.
- Loneliness is linked to depression. Don’t be afraid to normalise struggles by sharing them with your students, family, friends, and colleagues.
- Studies show that the people you spend the most time with are the people you’re most alike. Groups tend to adopt similar habits and outlooks on life (including happiness). Surround yourself with people who you aspire to be, and at the same time, lead by example.
You can quote us on that…
“The foundation of happiness is allowing in unhappiness.”Tal Ben-Shahar
“When we are acting toward the realisation of our potential, we are helping others do the same.”Tal Ben-Shahar
“As we widen our tolerance for our reality, we can experince more.”Meg Durham
Want to learn more?
The learning doesn’t have to stop here. Get your free dose of wellbeing education in your inbox with Meg’s Thought Of The Week. Click here to subscribe.
Loved this episode?
The best way you can support us is by subscribing and sharing the wellbeing love with your family, friends and other big-hearted humans in your life! Click here to subscribe and share.
Like what you hear?
Please leave me a review – I love a gold star as much as the next teacher! Click here to review The School of Wellbeing Podcast.
Hi, I'm Meg!
B.Phys Ed, M. Ed (Student Wellbeing), CIPP
I’m a teacher with experience working in primary and secondary schools across Australia, and a specialist in the field of wellbeing education and coaching. I founded Open Mind Education in 2013 with a vision of sharing practical, enriching wellbeing education with staff, parents, and broader school communities.
Join me on Social Media
is just five steps away.
Download my 5-step guide to more energy
for the ultimate wellbeing action plan.